5 Tips for Living in A Smaller Area
Recently downsized? Living in a smaller area while saving up for a down payment? Small-space living certainly comes with benefits (lower utility bills, lower monthly payments) but it can present challenges for folks used to larger spaces!
Planning for a smaller area. Image via joannagoddard.blogspot.com
The good news is that a little creativity and planning can go a long way. Here are a few genius tips for living in a tiny home:
- Organizing closets is perhaps the most obvious way to maximize your storage space, and it may be worth paying a bit extra to bring in the pros from a company such as California Closets. If you like to DIY instead, click here for some great ideas!
- Natural sunlight and lighter colors can really brighten up a room and create the appearance of a larger space. Consider neutral ivories, beiges, and taupes. For a little extra light without taking up space, add a few decorative lighting fixtures to the walls or ceiling. Consider mirrored backsplash in the kitchen or a decorative mirror in the living area as another way to create the illusion of more space.
- Embrace furniture that can be used for more than one occasion. A dining room table can double as an office desk when you’re not entertaining, and nesting tables can be used as a nightstand.
- Beautiful use of sunlight and lighter colors. Image via joannagoddard.blogspot.com
- Hidden storage is your friend! Under-the-bed containers are popular (check out The Container Store) and kitchen bench seating offers an easy way to tuck away cleaning supplies or bedding. The Container Store is also great for stylish, functional storage bins and crates!
- Maximize wall space by adding a few shelves for books, decor, a music collection, or lighting. Freestanding shelving tends to be inexpensive and easy to install.