Considering a brand new home? You’re not alone! The majority of buyers prefer new construction when given a choice, and there are a lot of fantastic new communities all over the Greater Philadelphia.
Here’s why new construction is a great idea
- This one is obvious, but its importance cannot be overstated: Brand. New. Every single thing in the home will be brand spankin’ new, meaning you’re a lot less likely to pay for maintenance, renovations and repairs anytime soon.
- The home may be somewhat customized to your liking. New homes are likely to have open floor plans, more bathrooms (yay!), and you can typically add on custom design features as well as pick your own colors.
- Low utility bills! New homes tend to be far more efficient than older homes, resulting in lower energy costs.
Here’s what you should watch out for:
- The home may be somewhat customized to your liking. While this is usually an advantage, it’s important to note that these customizations can cost you big bucks. Generally speaking, the price listed online for a new home will increase considerably by the time it gets to the settlement table.
- The process can be overwhelming and even intimidating at times. There is a lot more to consider and far more options when it comes to new homes, and (shameless advertising alert!) this is where an EveryHome agent can assist you. It’s especially important to use your own buyer’s agent when purchasing a brand new home, as they will advocate for you throughout the process. Plus, using a buyer’s agent is completely free!
- Consider your own timeline. While you can settle and move into most pre-existing homes within 45 days or so, new construction homes take quite a bit longer. If you’re renting or don’t have to sell your current home first, new construction may be a great option. But otherwise, it can be a bit tricker (and your EveryHome agent can help you navigate this, too!).