It’s not yet officially summer, but it sure feels like it! With temperatures soaring into the 80s and 90s, it’s more important than ever to have a summer home maintenance checklist so your home is ready for the hot weather ahead. Here’s where to start:
1. Get your central air conditioner serviced and replace the air filter. This simple and inexpensive step will save you time and money down the road. Be sure to clean all of the dust off of ceiling fans that built up over the winter months.
2. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detector. Don’t have a carbon monoxide detector? Pick one up at your local home improvement store for a few bucks — it’s worth it!
3. If you have a deck, be sure to check it for any signs of rotting or any nails poking up. It’s also a good idea to check whether or not it needs to be resealed (a simple tip from Nest.com: sprinkle water over your deck, and if it soaks right in then it’s time to be resealed).
4. Clean your dryer vent! Clogged dryer vents are one of the leading causes of home fires, so be sure to pick up a vent-cleaning brush kit (more effective than using your vacuum cleaner) and remove as much lint and dust as possible.
Serving Bucks & Montgomery Counties
5. Not only are dirty gutters unsightly, but they can also lead to water damage in your home. If your gutters are too high and a ladder can’t help you safely do the job, be sure to call in the pros. And to prevent future cleaning, consider installing a mesh guard over your gutters to keep debris out.