Welcome to "The Ogden House" and this Spectacular Historic Property. A date carved in the face of a stone high on the right side of the front wall indicates that the that the original house was completed in 1736 and only superficial alterations to the stone exterior have occurred over the years The interior has been altered only slightly over the years by virtue of its deep windows, irregular window glass, original trim and door jambs, chair rails, window frames and wonderful mantelpieces There are 4 to 5 bedrooms, 3 full modern baths and an updated first floor powder room. Over the years a modern kitchen was added and this was remodeled in recent years to include stainless appliances, a breakfast area, and a separate laundry room. There is a formal dining room with fireplace; a living room/office with stone carved fireplace; a very large and open family room with fireplace and built-ins; and numerous 1st floor doors to the exterior grounds and gardens. The 2nd floor has the master bedroom with a fireplace, a sitting/dressing room and private updated full bath; a middle room with fireplace that could be an upstairs family room or a bedroom; a guest bedroom with fireplace; and a full and modern bath off the hallway. The 3rd floor has 2 additional bedrooms and an updated full bath off the hallway. The grounds include a formal rose and herb garden in the rear with decorative brick walks that was added years ago in order to create an old world ambiance. There are copper gutters and downspouts, a flagstone patio off the kitchen addition and a large, relatively flat and fenced back yard. As a bonus there is also a beautiful tree house for children's (or adult) entertainment. There is a large single stall garage with a storage room to the rear, and the original stone springhouse (no longer in use) still stands on the grounds. Not only is this a well preserved example of an architectural style typical of substantial dwellings in southeastern PA in the first half of the 18th century, but as the home of the original owners and subsequently the Ogden's, it was a focal point for much social, economic, and religious activity in what is now Delaware County. The available history also indicates this has been the home of many substantial land owners, farmers, businessmen and respected members of the Springfield community. The Ogden House is important architecturally as the 2nd oldest house in Swarthmore, and the only one built in the early 18th century that has not been significantly altered inside or out since its inception in 1736. Although the house has been modified by the requirements of modern electricity, plumbing, central heat, etc, it retains much of its 18th century flavor. Much of the beautiful original wide plank hardwood flooring remains and, in most cases, the original plaster has been retained on the walls and partitions. The house is one of the earliest to be built in the area, and its owners played an integral part in the development of Delaware County. Its recorded history and the careful restoration work done by previous owners have made it a source of pride to all in Swarthmore! Minutes to the Phila Airport, a short walk to the SEPTA Swarthmore train station, dining, entertainment and shopping. Do not miss out on this wonderful property.